31" x 32"
It was a rocky road this month. It never occurred to me to be thematic, I think because I've done Chinese before, so I tried to keep a visual relationship to the original photo (which you can see here). Since I don't draw, and prefer to work with shapes, this was difficult. I could only see the circle and the diagonal. You can read more about my struggles on the Interpret This blog. Be sure to look at all the other interpretations too--two already posted and more to come today through Sunday. There's a fascinating range of approaches.
Some technical points that might be interesting: 1. Quilting with a walking foot at an angle that's not a straight bias is difficult. The quilt tries to move back to the straight and narrow, producing lines that are wonky in a different way than intended. It also distorts the quilt a great deal. 2. Twelve weight thread and batiks are not a good match, at least on my Janome. Even with a #14 topstitch needle I had problems with skipped stitches and thread breakage. I've ordered some #16/100 needles for next time. 3. I was using a scrap of Quilters' Dream Poly batting which has been recommended as good for wall quilts. Having used it twice now, I don't think I'd agree. Its denseness compounded the stitching problem, and being polyester, it didn't help in blocking the quilt back into shape. Now that it's gone, I won't buy more.
I have this piece hanging in my studio, and I like it more all the time. Odd how your feelings about things change.