Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Workshop Creation

I have started trying various compositions for the shapes I made in my workshop last week. The pictures aren't quite right because I was trying to photograph the layout on a table. First I tried the vertical arrangement, but the way the flowers are floating bothers me, although I know this is too literal.


Then I did the horizontal, flower arrangement one. Very conventional, I think.

Then I tried this one, the least realistic, with all the shapes radiating out from center. It looks a bit like you're looking straight down from above. I've been leaning toward this one. Try to imagine it without the distracting background--I don't have a big enough piece of fabric for this at the moment.

12 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I like them all - especially the leaves with 3 fabrics...

Oh and I have been meaning to ask, "What method did you use for your inner city quilt?" (That is what I am calling the 1/2 hexagon quilt that you made with the Hoffman Challenge fabric from a few years ago.)

Debra Dixon said...

The first 2 are my favorites!

McIrish Annie said...

I actually like the first one the best. 2nd as you said is conventional.

Samantha said...

I prefer the 1st two as well, and really love your colors!

Anonymous said...

What a fun project! I like the first two the best but you should go with the one YOU like best!

allie aller said...

I love the middle one...don't care whether it is conventional or not.

It is just great how you are trying out all the different arrangements.

Rian said...

I like the middle one best. My least favorite is the bottom one--too symmetrical.

Love the background colors. Perfect.

Nellie's Needles said...

My vote is for the last one. The stylized setting showcases these outlandish blossoms. The realistic positioning tends to fight with that outlandishness of the flowers. But then again, the juxtaposition of realistic with outlandish may be what is appealing. It's your call.

dee said...

I like the second one best and the last one least. This is going to be reall stunning no matter how you set it.

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I really like the radiating one! The eye already sees the flower and to arrange it into a graphic pattern makes it fun and surprising! Naturally, since this is your design I know you will choose the one that "speaks" to you the loudest. Fun to see your explorations!

Granny Fran said...

Those are such great flowers! I like the radiating one also. It seems to go with those wild flowers, which aren't in the least conventional or realistic.

laura west kong said...

I really like the bottom one, but if you choose this setting, I would rotate it just a little so that it's tilted with more of a spinning look. (so there's one rather than two on the bottom and it's not at a 90 degree angle. does that make sense?)