Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Success (almost)

I sewed the Hoffman together and it did go into an (almost) perfectly flat and even circle. A bit of fudging and fiddling was required, but I'm pleased. Now "all" that's left is to figure out how to draw a perfect 28" circle with that wobbly compass ruler I have, sew the bias strip that makes the edge on that circle, and meet a new engineering challenge of how to put together the pieces that square the circle, since they're narrower at the center of the circle than the corners. I've got ideas for both of these, but the execution is the trick. And then there's the quilting...

But for now I'm getting my hair done!

5 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Well, you can think about it while getting a shampoo... Unless your hairdresser is chatty.

His Office, My Studio said...

"Almost" is as good as it gets in my book. You did a great job!!!!!

Rian said...

I drilled holes in a yardstick for the 36" mariner's compass I did recently. I used a push-pin in the hole in the center of the circle to hold the thing steady while I put a pencil through the other hole. Worked like a charm. I ended up drilling a hole at each inch mark so I wouldn't have to get out the drill next time. I have a holey yardstick, but I can make real big circles now.

I really love your concept for this Hoffman. I have never made a round quilt and am wondering--How will it hang?

*karendianne. said...

Oh my gosh this "all that's left..."

I hope you'll post more of this as you go. My brain doesn't want to think about how to do this but my eyes want to see.

The Eyes Have it Love, *karendianne.

allie aller said...

Kathy, this is just awesome.
I don't envy you the engineering, but where there is a will there is a way, and Rian had a great suggestion there.
MMmmmm....getting one's hair done is nice.
Stay Warm!