Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The Hills are Alive...



Sunday we are leaving for 6 days in Innsbruck, Austria, followed by a weekend in Munich. Munich was a sweetener for me, since I didn't have any interest in Innsbruck when my husband was asked to speak there, but I've always wanted to go to Munich. I've since found out that Innsbruck is in Eastern Austria, in a valley surrounded by the Tyrolean Alps. Think Sound of Music, everyone. So this should be fun. I'm certainly expecting good, fattening pastries and sausages, washed down with coffee and beer, but maybe I can hike it off. Or not.

So I've been doing the things you have to do to get ready for a trip. Organizing stuff, running errands, etc. I can't work up any interest in German for some reason, so I hope for friendly, English-speaking people. I finally forced myself to dig out the phrase book this morning, much too late to learn anything.

The part I love is packing. It's such a challenge. I think I mentioned once before my fascination with this web site: One Bag. It's got everything you need to know about traveling light. I'll never be as light as the author, but I try. It doesn't matter how much junk you have for some kinds of trips, but if you've tried to get a suitcase on or off a European train while a bunch of men sit and look at you as though you had two heads, you learn to pare down!

Ironically, since men are supposedly better at traveling light, it's my husband who has all the luggage. He's always weighted down with things he thinks he'll "work on", but of course never touches. He also has to be forced to give up the heavy cotton underwear, socks, and shirts which take up half a suitcase, and never dry, so have to go to hotel laundry. We've made progress though. This time we're checking one full size bag (his) and one smaller one (mine). But then there's his backpack and his briefcase...
We look like one of these pictures, but in reverse.

Of course, probably anyone watching will think Herr Professor Doktor is chivalrously carrying his wife's overload.

In quilting news, I've also been working on the Hoffman Challenge, and have made some progress. I got through the part that seemed tedious or tense, and now have to make some design decisions. But I may wait on that till I come back.

12 comments:

dee said...

I was born in Augsburg and lived for a few years in Munich-Say Hi for me! Seriously, I've been waiting all my life to get back-hopefully soon. What a wonderful time (well there's no bad time)to be there. The flowers, the music, I'm getting all teary....sniff. Got room in your bag for a chunky little German girl?????

dee said...

By the way, Germans learn English as a second language as a matter of course-you'll have no problem with most people.

Nellie's Needles said...

Have a wonderful trip. I'm off to check out the "one bag" link.

*karendianne. said...

Oh this post made me smile! Fun and funny. I feel like it's going to be really interesting to see how you reengage with your H.C. upon returning after the wonderful break. That'll be interesting. As a regular reader of your Blog, I'm just as interested in that as I am the tour of the hills. :)

Hope you can Blog some photos whilst you're away.

The Calico Cat said...

I love that part of Europe... (Not that I've been to all of the parts of Europe...)

Gruss Gott!

Deb Geyer said...

Have a great time Kay! And don't forget to bring back lots of pictures for those of us stuck at home!!

Barbara C said...

Have a wonderful trip. I'm always in awe of people who can pack it all in one light bag. I always seem to need multiple pairs of shoes, which take up lots of space. Bon Voyage!

McIrish Annie said...

sounds like a wonderful trip! good for you on traveling light. we try not check baggage and go with one small bag each whenever possible. can't wait to see what you discover there!

Candace said...

Kay - the hills are alive with tons of English speaking people these days - you probably won't even need your phrase book! I'm so envious of you going to Austria - it's on my bucket list! Have a fantastic time! Hope you can get in a little stitching on the long plane ride!
Cheers!

His Office, My Studio said...

Have an OUTSTANDING trip!!!

Debra Dixon said...

Give my regards to Germany! I graduated from Nurnberg American HS back in the 70s. Hope you have a great time!

laura west kong said...

Wishing you a marvelous trip! =(^_^)=