Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Been and Back


My husband and I just came back from a mini-vacation to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We spent two nights at this wonderful place on the top of a mountain in western Pennsylvania, a huge old inn built in 1907 and still delightful. We toured Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water and Kentuck Knob, and came back through the Ohio Amish Country, staying at a pleasant B&B. A fun trip altogether.

There was even some quilty stuff.

Look at this beauty on a bed at the Washington Inn, an historic inn built for the stagecoaches during the heyday of the National Road (now US 40). The inn is maintained by the park service and furnished with period pieces. But I bet the stagecoach passengers never slept under a quilt as nice as that!

And of course, if you're in Amish Country, you have to look for fabric, right? This was a great store, in Charm, Ohio. I bought a little bit to build my stash of green.

And finally, my quilt was chosen for the Hoffman Challenge traveling exhibit, and best of all it will be in Chicago this spring so I can see it. Since I had no expectation of a prize, I'm happy.

11 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Gosh, where to start? Congrats on your anniversary and getting your quilt accepted for the challenge. I knew you would.

I am so envious that you got to see Falling Water. I bet it was spectacular.

I want to say that I have seen that Miller's Dry Goods on the Internet. Can't pass up the fabric!

PS-the trip would have been extra complete if you stopped at the QVC studios...

Vicki W said...

What a cool looking place! Congrats for your quilt too! Maybe I will get to see it in Houston??

laura west kong said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! That's a wonderful quilt. Hope I get to see your Hoffman Challenge piece in person too.

Beena said...

Pennsylvania has some great Inns and B and B's. I once stayed at a very hidden one that Chris Noth and some other celebrities had even stayed at before. This one you stayed at looks amazing! Love the quilt on the bed! I am glad you were able to enjoy such a charming mini vacation.

Gari in AL said...

Congratulations on being chosen for the Hoffman Challenge. That is a great honor.

The Calico Cat said...

COBGRATS! (We have US 40 over here too... I always find that funny, eventhough I know a lot of roads travel far & wide.)

Joyce said...

Wonderful news about the quilt! And congratulations on your anniversary. We drove through Amish country in Pennsylvania in May and I loved the area. Great area for quilt viewing and fabric buying!

Debra Dixon said...

Sounds like a nice adventure all around!

Barbara C said...

Congratulations on the recognition for your lovely quilt. And what a nice anniversary get-away. Happy anniversary!

Liz in Kansas said...

What a nice way to celebrate an anniversary! I've heard lots about the beautiful scenery through Ohio and Pennsylvania. Oh to see Falling Water. I studied some of FLW's work in college. Amazing!

Candace said...

Two congratulations are in order, Kay! Happy Anniversary and way to go with your Hoffman Quilt!
Cheers!