Monday, November 09, 2009

SOFA Chicago, Faust, Family




My husband and I had a wonderful twenty-four hours in Chicago this weekend. We left early enough to see the SOFA (Sculptural Objects, Functional Art) at Navy Pier. This is a large, very pricey art show with galleries from ten countries representing several hundred artists. There's lots of Chihuly-type glass, jewelry, ceramics, and a very small amount of fiber art. Hilde Morin, Carol Shinn, who takes thread painting to a new level, and Lesley Richmond were three of the artists represented. Photos were frowned on, but look at the links. Lesley Richmond uses photographed images which she paints with a resist, removes the negative space fabric, and then paints the fabric remaining, producing a lacy metallic image that is still as flexible as cloth. I particularly loved her work. You might also enjoy looking at the work of Amy Orr, who does mixed media, patchwork-like pieces.

It was a perfect fall day, the kind of day that makes Chicago one of the most beautiful cities anywhere: brilliant blue sky, gleaming buildings, the glorious lake. We walked through Millennium Park and across the new footbridge connecting it with the Art Institute's just completed contemporary wing. That footbridge is made to move, rather disconcerting at first. (The pictures above show the humongous Trump Tower reflecting some smaller buildings, the view of the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park from the Millennium Park bridge, and the view of the lake looking down Monroe street from the bridge.) There wasn't much time in the Art Institute, but it will still be there in January when outside isn't so lovely.

In the evening we had dinner and went to the Lyric Opera to see Faust, not a favorite of mine. I hate the women-as-victims opera plots, and the music just seems trite to me.


Sunday morning we drove to see my son and his family. The twins are still adorable. We had quiet time, and then played outside with the leaves, and came home to a still-beautiful day.

8 comments:

*karendianne. said...

I've never been to Chicago and I've certainly never heard of any of these artists. Hilde Morin - oh she's amazing, Carol Shinn - I'm not sure what words to use and Lesley Richmond made me speak the words "oh my gosh." Then when I made it to the boys I just said "ooh look at the punkin's."

And, I wanted to mention something. While I was and am completely impressed, taken and rather smitten with some of these artists and while I absolutely respect and admire their work - this is your style not my style. I mean, on that subject, if we were discussing that again, maybe over tea, I might just contribute that to the discussion. If we were over tea.

jenclair said...

Sounds like a great trip--art and twins! Hope you had enough time with those adorable boys!

Debra Dixon said...

I need to get back to Chicago--looks like the terrain is changing--maybe in the spring.

I'll have to cruise those sites. I've been to that particular show a few times. It's always interesting even if it is out of my league.

Joyce said...

That looks like a very interesting show. Chicago is one of my favorite cities. It's only a couple of days drive from here so we go there occasionally. They have a wonderful art gallery.

Rian said...

Mmmmm. I LOVE Chicago. I especially love the sculptures. And the blues. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. Where'd you eat? What'd you have? Chicago has such wonderful restaurants.

Libby Fife said...

Such sweet little boys!

The pictures were great and the weather looks like it was beautiful. Thank you for sharing that:)

Kim said...

Thanks for the links - Carol Shinn's work is stunning.

laura west kong said...

beautiful photos ... sounds like a fun time!