Monday, December 13, 2010

Some Finishes

I'm not really hiding from Christmas duties. One of these is a gift, one was finished a while back, and the third--yes, it was an escape. I lied.

1. Lap quilt for son and daughter-in-law. I chose the colors to go with the repainting plan they have for the large living area of their home, and I hope they like it. I like the look of the quilt, but not the feel. The quilting is beautiful, but I've learned to be more careful about choosing the batting, quilting pattern, and thread to get a softer cozier touch for a lap quilt. Wool batting, looser quilting, and a finer thread would be better.

2. Guild service quilt, made from orphan blocks. I posted this before it was finished and quilted, but it is completely done now. Was there a reason I started the alphabet border in the lower left hand corner instead of upper left? I hope so, but I've forgotten it now.


3. Another guild service quilt. I started with pinwheel blocks made from the trimmings of flying geese units. I'd saved them, but hadn't used them because I didn't really want to square them up. But then after reading Gwen Marston's Liberated Quilting, I realized they could be a bit off square, and definitely didn't all have to be the same size. Then I added liberated log cabin strips, and this is the result. I love the freshness of the colors, and the movement the off-center pinwheels give. It definitely needs a bright colored binding to keep the border from disappearing, so I'll add that when I quilt it after Christmas.

It's so relaxing to make something like this! Now to wrap some gifts, and finish the tree.




7 comments:

Rian said...

Wow, you've been busy! I agree that a finer thread is better for quilting. I used to use #30 embroidery thread because I wanted it to show up, but now I use #50 or even #60. And wool batting is so light and airy. Lovely quilts, all of 'em!

Gari in AL said...

All of your quilts are so cheerful: I really like them.

Debra Dixon said...

I have 2 lap quilts in my family room. One is a little stiffer than the other and I always find myself picking the softer one to use. Live and learn.

Libby Fife said...

I love all three of those quilts but especially that last one. Tons of movement with those pinwheels and I always think white is such a great foil for the soft colors that you chose. Really pretty.

PS-I would be avoiding XMas duties too:)

Suzanne Kistler said...

I particularly like the last quilt, perhaps because it is so bright and cheery and outside it's so grey and dreary!

Wish I could say I'd finished a Christmas gift or two, but I can't. yet.

Barbara C said...

All three quilts are lovely, but the pinwheel quilt is especially beautiful. The irregular design of the blocks really makes the pattern jump.

Debra Dixon said...

How was the gifted quilt received?