Saturday, July 30, 2011

More bits and pieces:

Alzheimer's Quilt Auction for August is different, and special.  They're auctioning the quilts that traveled in the exhibit Alzheimer's:  Forgetting Piece by Piece.  Many of these quilts were made by well known quilters.  Check out the link and bid if you can, starting tomorrow.

This obituary, of Ardis James, whose donations started the University of Nebraska center for quilt studies, appeared in the New York Times a few weeks ago.  I knew about the center, but nothing about its founders.  What's interesting is how much her life experiences as a quilter were like those of many of us.  She loved fabric:  who doesn't?

Recently I bought a small painting from my friend Libby Fife, who blogs about her painting and other creative endeavors here.  I'm so happy to have it framed and on my wall.  The frame came from Dick Blick, very nice, very inexpensive.

I've been working on ribbon medallion centers for my guild show:  here's the first batch, the white ribbons.  The rosette and streamers will be the polka dot fabric with ribbon accents.

And finally, I got a new haircut, the shortest I've had for years.  Apparently it makes me look slimmer, which I am, but no one had noticed before.  Unfortunately, as Nora Ephron says, "I feel bad about my neck."  I also feel bad about my glasses, and my teeth, but one can't dwell on that stuff.

8 comments:

Libby Fife said...

Silly! You look great!!! I love Nora Ephron too. Thanks for the mention of the painting also. I am going to hop over and look at the Alz. quilts as well.

Debra Dixon said...

You are one cute pixie!

jenclair said...

Love the hair cut...and we don't really have to talk about necks, do we?

The painting is so softly dreamy, and I love the medallion centers!

Beverly said...

Hey, I think you look great, and you will love how easy short hair is to care for.

Rian said...

I love the new haircut!! You look mahvelous, dahling. We all have those parts we dwell on but we are not our parts.

Annie said...

i'm with the others. your haircut looks great. super easy to take care of too. more time for quilting!

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

You look lovely and looks like there are lots of us who can join your club. I look in the mirror and wonder who that is because my mind still sees me oh so much younger. :)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Oh and Congrats on purchasing one of Libby's paintings. It looks perfect on your wall.