Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What I've Learned Recently

1.  Sometimes less is more.  I like the way this charity quilt turned out with minimal quilting.  With the polyester batting, it should be enough.

2.  How to make an ugly quilt:  Throw in too many, too bright "accent" blocks.  Oh, well on a dark and stormy night it will be just fine.


3.  I can still knit.  I just discovered this novelty yarn, called Marina Glitz, and thought I could manage a scarf that requires only eight stitches.


You pick up the loops on the top of the web and knit them, and the result is this ruffly scarf.  Although it's a bit trickier than I expected, I have finished half of the skein in two nights of TV watching.  It might be tempting to make more for gifts, but most colors seem to be out-of-stock in all the web sites I checked.

4 comments:

Libby Fife said...

That top quilt is perfect just as it is. Sometimes less is really more as you stated.

Someone will love that second quilt, I just know it and you are right. On a cold night it will be quite welcome.

Cute scarf too:)

Debra Dixon said...

When you are sleeping under a quilt, you can't see the colors. That's my story . . .

(Finished is better than perfect, some times!)

*karendianne. said...

Oh this makes me so happy! I've learned recently how much I miss your creativity, bravery and voice.

Rian said...

Just goes to show ya you're never too old to learn something new.

I have made the same mistake making a quilt with all-favorite fabrics. Looked like a train wreck. Just turn the lights low and it will look great.