Thursday, April 13, 2006



Here's a view of the little kingdom that gave my blog its name. My "studio" (when I was making things to sell, my family called it "the sweatshop", but "studio" is so much better spin) is, of course, in the basement. My son always says, "You need to get out of the basement, Mom", my other son just rolls his eyes, and my husband, Herr Doktor Professor, is basically oblivious to what I'm doing. But I'm happy here. The heart of the area is a former ping-pong table, raised on cement blocks. It's a great work table, because it's huge! I can cut, layer, and store all the materials for a work in progress on it. There's room for more storage underneath. Of course that means it's a mess. My machine, stash, and ironing board are near by, and the computer and a tv are at the other end of the room. I have room for two design walls, both now empty, because I'm not at that stage. There's also a window letting in a lot of natural light, even sunlight at some times of day. It's a great set-up for function, not much for looks. No matched storage units here!

4 comments:

dot said...

It would be so nice to have that much working space, even if I was in the basement. I like the quilt in the picture also.

Deb Hardman said...

I'm in the basement too, & I love it. I've always loved cozy spaces. I used to climb into the cupboards when I was small. Womb-like I guess.

allie aller said...

I have two sons and an oblivious husband, too! "You need to get out of your sewing room, Mom!" How many times have I heard that?
But they love it that I am so happy in there.
Your space looks grand to me!

Rayna said...

I would kill for enough room for a ping pong table! Lucky you, to have a studio like that. I have a finished basement - not really appropriate for all the dyeing/printing/painting I do. But what's a little blue dye on the carpet among friends?