Saturday, June 23, 2007



I have this piece I began in Jane Sassaman's class at the Indiana Heritage Quilt Show in March ready to quilt. I had an incredibly difficult time deciding on a border, considering that this one I settled on is extremely simple, even obvious actually. The creative process is a strange thing. Now I am debating about the little triangles I scattered in the background: whether to leave them, take them out, add more. Other than that, I like this, and definitely want to try something else using the technique. Everything is backed with fusible interfacing, which gives wonderful body to the top, making it easy to work with. Jane's book, The Quilted Garden, gives a good summary of the process. The class was one of the best experiences I've had as a quilter--a delight from start to finish.

I intend to keep the quilting simple, outlining and accenting the shapes (veins on the leaves, for example), probably with diagonal lines in the background.

13 comments:

allie aller said...

Mmm..this is REALLY nice. I'd keep those scattered triangles..they add just the right amount of zip.

floribunda said...

very nice, Kay -- I like the simple borders. Jane S is speaking at our guild on Monday and I'm looking forward to it. Glad to hear her class was a good one!

Deb Geyer said...

I also like the triangles, just the way they are. The whole thing is lovely!

laura west kong said...

Hi Kay,
You're it! I am tagging you to post seven random facts about yourself on your blog, and then tag seven other people. Have fun!

Oh wow! I'm so glad to see this one again and that it didn't make it into the UFO pile. Looking great!
laura

jenclair said...

I'm with Allison, I think the triangles add zip! In fact, the entire composition is great!

Terri Stegmiller said...

I think your border choice is perfect, and the little scattered triangles look great as they remind me of flower petals falling off the flowers.

Debra Dixon said...

I am not a class taker but I would really like to take one of Jane's classes. I read her book whenever I start a new CQ project! She is my kind of quilter.

I think this is a lovely piece and like the triangles. Like Terri said, they look like fallen leaves.

Lisa D. said...

That is just beautiful! I love the borders and also the triangles - keep them!!!

swooze said...

It is lovely!

Nellie's Needles said...

Beautiful! Size? I always want to know the scale I'm viewing.

Samantha said...

This is just gorgeous! the colors are fantastic.

Shelina said...

This is a great piece. I think the simple borders add just the right touch and keep the attention where it belongs. The flowers look 3-d. Very nice.

Juryizstillout said...

Very elegant and cool.