Friday, November 09, 2007

A Creative Mess

Allison Aller just posted pictures of her work area in the midst of heavy creativity, and in her case creativity with wonderful results. A few weeks ago, inspired by reading about other bloggers who were rearranging and making beautiful work spaces, I took some pictures of my mess. I never posted these and actually deleted the photos. But here is the current state. This is actually rather neat. We had guests last weekend, and I spent a day organizing and purging. I have lots of space, but it has developed ad hoc without any attempt to make an attractive area, or even one that is the most efficient. But I can find anything I need, and it works for me. As I commented on Allie's blog, while cleaning I found this quotation posted on my bulleting board: A creative mess is better than tidy idleness. My philosophy!




The hanging plastic bags came from a library supply place several years ago. Libraries use them to store children's book/cd sets, and I use them for odd untrimmed scraps sorted by color. They're wonderful.

I'm off to Chicago this afternoon to babysit with the twins this evening and then spend some time tomorrow at the Chicago Quilt Expo. I'll report next week.

6 comments:

*karendianne. said...

I'm glad you posted this. I like the idea about the hanging plastic bags - great one! I thought you entire are looked rather organized and I can tell there's a method to things. I can see you could find anything you need. My area, "Karen's Quilt Shop", is developing ad hoc without any attempt to make an attractive area as well. But it seems to be shaping up rather well. As you said - a creative mess. ;)

Kim said...

The bags are a great idea! I chuckled at 'tidy idleness' - sounds like a disease!

Vicki W said...

I LOVE the hanging bag idea - glad you posted it.

Rian said...

Those hanging plastic bags are WONDERFUL! My pharmacy uses those to sort prescriptions...I can see many possibilites! Wow! Perhaps you have a link to an online source?

laura west kong said...

Actually your mess looks pretty tidy to me. I've recently "lost" several of my miniature quilts in my stash. I might have to start making larger quilts.

allie aller said...

Thanks for posting this so called "mess"...looks great to me!
Is that a ping pong table I see for your central workspace?

I, too, love the hanging plastic envelope idea. Brilliant!