Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Dumb is Good

Sometimes you can have design decision overload, and it's good to have some no-brainer projects to fall back on. That's my state right now. I have almost finished this little charity quilt for one of my guilds, using flannel scraps left over from the quilts I made the twins. It's good to accomplish something simple and useful. I hope to finish the binding this afternoon.


These split nine-patch blocks came from idea in a class taught by Mary Ellen Hopkins. Her idea is to cut scraps into small squares, keep them in an orderly way, and between other projects, or in a few minutes of non-creative time, stitch up a block. After a long time, you have enough for a quilt. The blocks can be arranged in any log cabin set. I have made one already, (it took about two and a half years), and I have about 90 blocks toward another.

Individual blocks are sometimes amazingly ugly, but the overall effect can be striking, I think.


And finally, to use up the many neutral strips I seem to have collected, I started making small nine patches. I have no plan for them yet, but there is no hurry. Some day, I'll feel like a decision again.

7 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

That over all effect is really pretty. I like the layout that you chose...

What did you do with the Mediums?

McIrish Annie said...

I feel the same way! I am overloaded with projects that require ME to be creative. As of January 1st those projects will be done and I am soooo looking forward to just doing a "quilt by numbers", just pick the fabric and follow someone else's directions!

Mary ellen hopkins is great and you are right. those blocks can be ugly! but the quilt is beautiful!

*karendianne. said...

Kay, I love these. Do you know I started a bunch of little nine patches for no reason at all until someday.

I haven't made any split nine patches and I'm thinking I'll give this a shot. What a great idea. I lovvve what you have displayed here from that. WOW!

allie aller said...

I too know what you mean about having some "non-thinking" projects. The cross stitch lettering I am doing right now feels that way, and it is a brain relief.

How fun that you took a class from Mary Ellen Hopkins! I have never laughed harder in my life than at a lecture she gave...way back in 1988. I will always love her for that!

Debra Dixon said...

I think I am due for a No Brainer here very soon! Love the quilt on your bed!

Deb Geyer said...

That is a beautiful quilt. I'm just starting to cut my scraps into strips for some kind of quilt. It is interesting to see all of the possibilities.

Unknown said...

The brown looks like a quilt I made for my daughter.