Wednesday, April 30, 2008


Yesterday, I made this block for a guild friendship block exchange. It's for Kristie the orange freak who wanted scrappy orange Broken Dishes blocks. I love it! So refreshing after the other things going.

I am very, very, very sick of my current project. The quilting is done and I now have to bury many thread ends before proceeding to embellishment. I'm not liking this thing much, and am considering stuffing it in a bag. There may be a UFO in my future.

On other fronts, I am leading the discussion in my book group tomorrow night and need to work on that. We're discussing The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton. This isn't one of her best known books, and I don't know why. Undine Spragg, a beautiful, ignorant climber who makes three men very unhappy as she marries her way up the social ladder, is one of the most detestable literary characters ever. We're a serious group who really talk about the book, so I need some insights and thought provoking questions. Well, two days left for inspiration--

Also, we're going to Moscow for 10 days this summer, and as it's uncomfortable not to have a clue what anything is, I am working on learning the Cyrillic alphabet and a few words. This is slow, to say the least. MOCKBA =moskva=Moscow. That's about the extent of my knowledge, showing that there are some letters like the Roman alphabet, some that look the same but are different, and some that are really strange. For instance, the symbol for women's toilet is something that looks like two x's stuck together, although I'm sure they will also have the universal paper doll with a skirt symbol; I least I hope so.

And last, but not least, we're getting new counter tops, stove, and sink, and I've been picking out those things. That's all I'll say because I hate the whole trendy, HGTV-driven, home decor thing. But no matter how little I care about this on one level, it's expensive and I have to live with it, so it's taken lots of time better spent in other ways.

Oh, and in case you don't know, the Indiana primary is next week. The media knows the state exists, and that there are Democrats here! It's very exciting!

My new blog photo expresses my rather strange mood.

12 comments:

allie aller said...

You are always so funny!
If you despise the HGTV home dec thing, you would love my house. Mine could be the quintessential
"before" picture of any remodel article or show.

Lovely block, very zippy....

And Russia! Shouldn't you be reading some Russian literature before you go?

jenclair said...

Another "before" picture here. Waiting for those decorators to arrive.

I'm a great fan of orange - love the block!

Just curious about the trip to Moscow--seems like a polar opposite of last year's trip to France.

McIrish Annie said...

Ohhh, I LOVE Edith Wharton and have read everything she has written! wish I were closer I would join that book group!

and new counters and sink is on my list for this year. I hate that whole home dec crap too but my sink does look pretty shabby and well to get to the sink the countertops must come off..

Deb Geyer said...

I love the Broken Dishes blocks!

Rian said...

You are so predictable with "I'm not liking this right now..." But I understand. I have the same affliction. Love the orange dishes. Wonderful color, orange.

So there's a little Tolstoy in your future. Moscow is on my short list but I don't know if I'll get there.

Rian said...

You are so predictable with "I'm not liking this right now..." But I understand. I have the same affliction. Love the orange dishes. Wonderful color, orange.

So there's a little Tolstoy in your future. Super! Moscow is on my short list but I don't know if I'll get there.

dee said...

Oh Kay, I've been dancing around Edith Wharton for a number of years and other books often get & grab my attention. I am getting up from her and going to the Library to see if I can find that book. You've given me the push I need. Love the broken dishes and of course the color. My 2 cents say-if something bores you that much-put in in a deep dark place and move on to something fascinating.

*karendianne. said...

Drat! Do you know I came by, I visited, I read and didn't comment. Glad I checked. Sheesh.

I love LOVE your Broken Dishes. It made me want to do one. I didn't but it inspired me into new thinking.

You have so much happening - whew! And Kay, I think I'd be very excited to be in your State right now. Wow!

Debra Dixon said...

Can't say that I love the new picture--I thought the real one was very clear and direct which is how I think of you. . . .imagine that.

Jo Raines said...

Love the broken dishes block--clean, precise and lovely piecing and choice of colors.

Rhonda said...

That block is really striking! I love it.

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

I'm a huge fan of orange and I just love this block !!!