Tuesday, May 25, 2010

If at First You Don't Succeed...


You may remember an earlier version of this--terrible piecing.  Here it is again, paper pieced.  Did that solve the problems?  Not entirely, although it might be passible.   Those tiny things are VERY hard to match, the paper is thick, it slipped, and of course solid on solid shows every error.  There's also the matter of reverse images, and I had a devil of a time with those slanted stem pieces, finally just making the ends oversized and trimming them.  I'm ashamed to say how long it took to make this block; we'll just say I worked on it both Sunday and Monday afternoon.  It doesn't even shout "HARD TO DO!" like some blocks do, but I think it's the most difficult piecing I've ever done.  Do I want to make three more?  I think not.  I'll just admit defeat.   Pretty, isn't it?  Sigh...

10 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I can see this block being challenging. Those tiny squares that it makes that have to line up perfectly on top of those stems.

It is pretty though. Oh well....sometimes it is just time to move forward.

*karendianne. said...

It has an interesting glass sort of look it to my friend. I understand the pains (in theory) but really it does have this sort of, oh I guess I say stained glass feel to it. I like it.

I hope this comment does a nice "sit.stay." for me.

Liz in Kansas said...

It really is pretty. But then, three more? Nah! Put a border on this block and call it done. No rules say you have to enter the Challenge!

Rian said...

It's kind of sweet, in a folksy way. That said, the lines don't have to meet. But it would drive me crazy and I'd have to turn my back on it and move on.

Joyce said...

It's cute. I'd probably go for a wonky look with no points or seams matching. If only one doesn't match it looks wrong but if none match it looks lively and folky.

Libby Fife said...

This comes under the category of a good idea...for somebody else! I agree with Barbara, mayve something else is in order and will make you feel better:)

The Calico Cat said...

That block looks like it would have been easier to use a bias tape & appliqued the stem...

Barbara C said...

It's very pretty--it reminds me of a tile, but life it too short for things that are annoying and challenging vs. fulfilling and challenging.

Suzanne Kistler said...

Looks to me like you chose to take the Challenge quite literally!!

If you put it on the wall and stand back a step or two does it still frustrate you as much? I've often found that what seems like a glaring problem at 6" isn't quite as overwhelming as I think it is...and quilting often does much to soften lines...

Debra Dixon said...

Maybe you can turn it into an Alz piece and that will satisfy you.