Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January Thaw

Seven years ago, in January, 2006, I posted my first blog post.  That would be impressive if I had continued the process all this time, but of course I have been very erratic in the last year or so.  I'm not sure why that's true, and I won't bore you with my self analysis, so if there's anyone out there still reading, here's what I'm doing.


Charity quilts from orphan blocks:  this one is made from the half blocks trimmed off when I straightened the edges of the Athena's Puzzle quilt I finished about a year and a half ago.  I commented on this procedure here.  I think I like this scrap version about as well as the original, and it feels good to salvage some lovely fabric.



Here we have a collection of random blocks.  The alternate blocks and the corner stones came from another batik quilt, even older than the Athena's puzzle.  Why I had so many left over, I don't know.  It must have been one of those counting failures I'm prone to.  By putting the last four in the border, I used every last one!


This quilt was so much fun to make that I'm not sure whether I will stop to quilt it, or go back to the orphan block box and try for another one before I lose the momentum!

8 comments:

Rian said...

January thaw? That's not what I heard on the weather report this morning. It looks like you'd better hunker down with some hot cocoa!

McIrish Annie said...

Welcome back! I absolutely love the second one. What a great use of the blocks in the border. It's really striking.

Libby Fife said...

That last border treatment is very clever! And of course I recognize the other blocks from the Athena quilt.

Glad to see your post and that you haven't turned in to a popsicle:)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Nice to hear from you again.
I love both of these...very clever ideas for the second one. I say keep going, you are on a roll. YOu can always quilt them later.

Liz in Kansas said...

We missed you, but it looks like you've kept busy and productive. Those orphan blocks really go well together. Good job!

*karendianne. said...

Great title. Love the scrappy version of Athena's Puzzle. Really working your creative juices! What fun What fun What fun the way you worked the orphan blocks!

Fun to see your post pop up.

floribunda said...

Good to see you back! (I'm nearly as erratic as you...) I like both the orphan block quilts -- very clever designs!

Nellie's Needles said...

Playing with already constructed elements can be fun ... and when you're having fun, most likely the results will be FUN! And yours most certainly are fun and successful.