Thursday, February 14, 2013

Another Orphan

Here's my second quilt created from blocks just lying around.  I started with the five pieced blocks, three of the small maple leaf blocks, and some of the brown and ivory strips I put in the sashes.  I pieced the nine patches and more strips.  


It would have been much easier to make a solid blue border, but since I didn't have a large enough piece of blue, the piano key border was the solution.  This is unquilted, making two of these projects to quilt.  I will do the quilting, reluctantly, but I think my next new project will be to see what I can do with some hand applique sunflower blocks I inherited from my mother-in-law.  Stay tuned.

Meantime, I'm packing up my elephant joke quilt to send to the Lancaster AQS show.  If anyone is going to that show, I hope you'll stop by and say hello to it.  I wish I could go, but it won't happen.  


3 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

you are inspiring me to pull out my orphan box and see if i can make a quilt out of something in there. actually might be fun.

Libby Fife said...

Lancaster?

That's a great looking quilt and the piano key border is always a good bet.

Love the elephant piece and remember it well. Maybe they are driving there?

Karendianne said...

Oh how did I miss this. Seeing your Orphan quilts is really inspiring me. I'm not committing but I think you're lighting a fire under me so watch and see… (just don't hold me to it and for heavens sake don't hold your breath). :>

gosh the elephant piece is incredible and you know what? I just have to go back to that amazing Hoffman challenge Elephant you did in '09. I never forgot that.