Thursday, February 28, 2013

More Blocks, and Shopping Time!

Yesterday I pieced three more blocks, and here's where we are:



I made a change in the cutting/piecing.  I had originally drafted the frame with a triangle piece at the corner like this:

I thought this would be easier to piece than a set in seam.  I don't know why, because I've done set in seams before.  Anyway, this triangle was a pain to piece accurately, and of course required cutting eight more pieces per block.  So I decided to try cutting the side in one long piece and making a mitered corner with a set in seam, like this:


It wasn't harder really.  Fewer pieces equals less cutting, fewer seams, less bulk.  I've still got the placement of that muslin triangle and the angle of the roof shaped piece though.  Now if I can just figure out exactly how to do that right the first time, every time...

Now the fun part:  I don't have enough blue fabric that reads as fairly solid in that lighter value, so I'm going to have to go buy some.  I also need to decide how much pattern can go in those pieces without losing the effect I want.  Too solid is boring, but too much pattern would be distracting.  So I've been auditioning the fabrics I have before heading out to the quilt shop.


I'm not sure about the one on the far right.  What do you think?  Decisions are tough.

3 comments:

Liz in Kansas said...

I really like this setting pattern! At first glance that light blue looks too busy, but if you mask it off (or slide it under the block) so that only the narrow strip show, it looks much better. I would use it - but if you really *need* to shop, who am I to say no?

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

I agree with Liz. I like it too. This is looking really nice. I love it.

Karendianne said...

Man this is incredible how you do this. Working with that graph paper - I've never done that (referring back here obviously). This setting is so perfect.

I see what you're saying about the fabric. By now I'd imagine you've decided what to do so I'll just sit back and see what you come up with.

From a piecing perspective, I'm intrigued with how you approached that triangle piece.