Sunday, June 11, 2006

Home!

Arrived home last night after long, but basically pleasant flight. Just starting to unpack and organize. Bob left to go run an experiment at Argonne National Laboratory, so it is quiet here. It's good to be home, but I loved Paris. I woke up in the night last night and as I tried to go back to sleep, French phrases kept running through my head. Where were they when I needed them?

Here are some photos: my husband and I on the rooftop terrace of Institut of le Monde Arab, which has a beautiful (and free!) view of the Seine and Notre Dame; the church where we lived (see the little door to the left--that leads to flats belonging to the University of Paris Medical School); and my husband, son and daughter-in-law in the Tuilleries. As you can see from pictures, it was grey much of the time while we were there.





I took the other two pictures at a quilt exhibit I visited. It seemed to be the equivalent of a local guild show. There were only about 20 quilts of varying quality. I thought these two were quite striking, both in the colors and the unusual design. Both makers were creating an abstraction based on photographs, one of sand dunes and one of a flower bed.




I have a few other pictures which I will post later. My dirty laundry is calling.

4 comments:

jenclair said...

Sounds as if you had a wonderful trip. I like the idea of going somewhere on a yearly basis and having a familiar place to stay. You learn to love a place in an entirely different way...

Kay said...

So true--the way you express it is perfect!

Deb Hardman said...

Welcome home Kay! I've missed your more frequent postings. Paris looks like it was lovely, even if it wasn't really sunny. One of my favorite movies was filmed in Paris. American Dreamer. I've always wanted to go there. My aunt lived there for a few years wne I was little.

allie aller said...

You two look so cute in that first picture!!!
Welcome home...we missed you...!