Wednesday, December 20, 2006

WIP Wednesday



Scrooge that I am, I really do have a Christmas tree nonetheless.

And I have done holiday baking. Here is a great new recipe that I discovered this year: Pumpkin-Cranberry bread. This is actually cake like. Very easy, better than banana bread because you don't have to mash bananas, and if made in those aluminum foil pans than have a snap on plastic lid, makes easier gift than cookies. Healthy too--two Super Foods and no bad fat.

Combine dry ingredients: 2 1/4 cup flour, 1 T pumpkin pie spice, 2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt
Mix 2 eggs, 2 cups sugar 1/3/4 cup pumpkin (one can), 1/2 cup oil
Add pumpkin mnixture to flour mixture, stir until moistened. Fold in 1 cup fresh cranberries (It says you can use dried cranberries too, but these would be very different because they're sweet. Haven't tried that.)

Bake in 2 greased 9 x 5 inch-loaf pans at 350 degrees 45-55 minutes.

And I have pinned the beauteous Hoffman Challenge fabric to my design wall and look at it as I walk by.

Some options: Make it disappear.



Funky contemporary batiks.



This coordinate really pops.



Not a totally impossible fabric, but I still have no real ideas.

10 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for the recipe - it sounds yummy!

Debra Dixon said...

Last night as we were fading off to sleep Wes asked me what I was going to be working on next year so I ran down the list. Then, he said, "Don't forget the Hoffman Challenge!". Why he remembered that is beyond me. . .

jenclair said...

The bread sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Kay, I got the challenge fabric and batik coordinates too. I'm seeing it in strips with loads of other fabrics... what do you think? I have a very solid idea for my piece and will probably begin working on it after the first of the year.

Rian said...

Thanks for the recipe. I love both pumpkin and cranberry.

I'm enjoying seeing your ongoing cogitation (and accompanying narrative) of the Challenge.

Susan said...

Thanks for the recipe! Looks yummy!

I love the challenge fabric. Are you thinking of using big chunks of it?

Deb Geyer said...

I'm going to try the bread! Thanks for sharing.

Jo Raines said...

Pretty tree and I'll have to try the recipe! I love cranberries.

Micki said...

Recipe sounds yummy. Your tree looks great.
Thanks for your comments on my blog. The clay box is not that hard to do. Roll out your clay, impress images with stamps, add colors with pearl-ex, cut squares to fit box and bake clay. Then glue these on.

allie aller said...

You will find just the right mix for those fabrics...
I've felt completely scrouge-like this year too....don't know why...putting up our tree was a major effort for me, and I am usually so gung ho!
Yours looks nice...I like those big white lights.
Thanks also for the recipe...I have tons of winter squash in my freezer so this will help me out, believe me!