Friday, August 01, 2008

Broken Dishes and Counter Rings



You've heard of crop circles? Well, how about mysterious green rings on a brand new granite counter top? The first rings (actually a vaguely rectangular outline) appeared about a week after the counter was installed. I worried that I had made these rings somehow even though I don't have anything that shape, size, or bright green color. But even if I had, the granite is sealed with a 15 year guarantee, so it shouldn't have happened.

The installers came, looked, said they'd never seen anything like that, and came back two weeks later with a poultice which sat on the counter for 24 hours. We were in Russia during this time, and our son reported that the rings were fainter, but still there. I reported this, but no action has been taken.

Then yesterday, I moved the phone books, day planner, and junk mail from the counter on a small side cabinet. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I haven't done a thorough cleaning in that area since the counter was installed--been gone a lot, remember? :) Anyway, there they are--more bright green marks! Since this area hasn't seen light of day since right after installation, to me this is proof that no one in our house made these marks; they must have been caused by something placed on the granite before it was installed that didn't appear immediately. Weird, right? So I've back on the phone to the granite people. Still no scheduled return for more of the poultice. Fortunately all these marks are in inconspicuous places, but still. That's a lot of money for something that is flawed from the beginning.

As for broken dishes, I've been making slow progress on these blocks.

I like this, I think. There will be more gold and green ones, but the rust will predominate. Still wondering about the sashing.

9 comments:

allie aller said...

Dang, I hope you don't have to have the counter reinstalled.
That would be enough to get you to break some dishes for real!

Debra Dixon said...

Chuckling (at Allie's comment)

Deb Geyer said...

I had granite counter tops once and I lost so much sleep over the care and feeding of them I don't think I would ever have them again. They are beautiful though.

Barbara C said...

Your green rings are indeed like crop circles--very mysterious and some people don't believe they're anything to worry about. I hope you can get some service out of your supplier.

Your blocks are gorgeous. I really like those colors.

The Calico Cat said...

ACK - that is odd... But that customer service is AWFUL - another one of those industries where all they have to do is sell it to you once...

99% of me expected to see "real" briken china, not quilt blocks. :o)

dee said...

I hope you get some answers from the granite people soon. I've heard some horror stories about remodeling but this is a new one. Maybe your granite was sitting on something copper and the verdegris is popping up through the stone? Customer service is in a sorry state everywhere now.
Love those blocks-the colors are beautiful.

Jules said...

That counter thing is really strange. Like something is living in it. Are you just trying to get X-Files Agent Fox Moulder to your house?

laura west kong said...

Those are some beautiful blocks!

The Calico Quilter said...

Granite has many chemical components. I suppose some mineral in the granite slabs could be reacting with the sealant. What a disappointment it must be, knowing how expensive the granite is. Regardless of the P.R. from the natural stone industry, I think quartz countertops might be the way to go instead. I know someone with Silestone counters and she adores them.

Love your broken dishes blocks. The dark setting triangles make them so moody and elegant.