Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I want to stay home--

I'm back from eight days at my sister's so my mother wouldn't be alone. It's a long, not too interesting story. I haven't done any sewing in the entire time, or looked at many blogs. I did drive a truck and trailer with six hay bales, which was a first for me, for sure. Unfortunately no camera, or I would definitely share that.

It will take me a while to catch up with everyone, after I clean the counters so that the green marks can be bleached again, go to the grocery, etc. After that, I hope to sit down and stitch up some Broken Dishes blocks while listening to the end of my Amelia Peabody book on tape. For those of you who listen to books while you sew, I highly recommend this series about the totally improbable adventures of 19th century Egyptologist Amelia Peabody and her irrasible but sexy husband Radcliffe. Written by Elizabeth Peters and read by Barbara Rosenblat, who can do dozens of voices and accents, they make me laugh out loud. The early ones are better than the most recent ones, and I hit the jackpot by discovering one of the earlier ones, The Snake, the Crocodile, and the Dog, that I hadn't heard before. What a treat!

I saw the Hoffman Challenge winners posted Saturday, but now that's gone from the website and they're back to a June post. What's with that? Catch you later everyone.

4 comments:

jenclair said...

I'd love to have seen you hauling hay!

I enjoyed the Amelia Peabody books for years, and agree that the early ones are the best. Not sure why the later stories are not as much fun - maybe the generational transition.

Paula, the quilter said...

I just love to listen to Barbara Rosenblat. I first heard her reading a Nevada Barr mystery.

Kim said...

Welcome back. The Peabody story sounds like a wonderful accompaniment to sewing.

Liz in Kansas said...

I love the Amelia Peabody books and just finished reading the latest one. I don't know why it never occurred to me to listen to them on tape! That would be so interesting!