Friday, October 10, 2008

More Stars, and Organization Tool


I've made a couple more stars, the plain ones because I need practice before tackling those split ones. It's fascinating to see the effect of different stripes, and of course the same stripes going around the star instead of vertically look different still. The possible variations help to make something that goes quite slowly interesting.



And here's a free, recycled organization tool. These are the plastic boxes that salad greens come in. I've found them wonderful for sorting different cut-out pieces, threads, or other parts of the work-in-progress mess. They stack, and so don't take up much room, and the items are easily found. I don't save the covers to use because stacking provides built-in dust protection. And of course using the containers like this helps me feel less guilty for buying expensive, wastefully packaged stuff! Also, the soup kitchen where I volunteer gets lots of donated cakes, and the plastic lids from those make good larger bins for storing pieces of fabric I've pulled for future projects.

12 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Love those stars!

I've noticed that one of the thrift stores where I shop uses those containers to package misc items for sale. They might fill one with game pieces or craft supplies & then tape them shut. You can see the merchandise but not have someone tear the package apart. I think it's a great idea!

jenclair said...

I'm so loving these stars!

I use those containers, too, Kay, but haven't tried stacking them. Great idea.

The Calico Cat said...

Oh my & to think, I just said, "We need to toss all of those reuseable plastic tubs!" (I am having lid/bottom issues...) Not to mention - "Where do we keep them?"

Anonymous said...

great stars, great tip!

Kim said...

Great idea to use the tubs! Love the stars.

Deb Geyer said...

I have a vintage quilt that my grandmother made that is stars with stripes and plaids too. It is wonderful!

dee said...

Kay, I just love the red & white. It always looks fresh and bright.
I use those containers at the Pantry. When civic groups have their dinners, they bring the left over food to us and people use the containers to transport the goodies home.

*karendianne. said...

You know how I feel about those stars. You know they're working on my head, too! Can't let them go. And I dig the plastic trays. I use my Glad Plastic things or my Tupperware but this is much better! Especially for dust prevention. Very cool of you!

You're the Star Love, *karendianne./ Living Life at LeeHaven

Anonymous said...

Stripes do real yeoman's work in any design. I loved using bias striped edges on draperies in my interior design days, or piecing pillows to show unusual stripe designs. Your stars are fabulous. And I love the different sizes. And, dang! Why didn't I think about those salad tubs?!

McIrish Annie said...

I've used those containers in the past for keeping pieces together. They are great!

I like the effect of these stars but I feel your pain in constructing them. I'm not a template fan.

Denise Felton said...

Brilliant tip! I've scheduled a link to this post to go live on my blog later this morning (Central USA time). I hope it brings you a few extra clicks.

Denise
http://needlework.craftgossip.com

Anonymous said...

I have been using all sizes of these plastic containers for everything from storing pattern pieces, beads and rooting African Violet leaves. They are perfect for that because if you have a dome lid, it is like a miniature greenhouse.

sandra