Saturday, June 27, 2009
The Hoffman is finished, as good as it will get. This picture shows the central image, the idea I started with. The whole composition, which I'm not revealing yet, was the hard part.
Technical issues have plagued this piece. My applique method is one I learned in a class by Jane Sassaman a few years ago. The image is not fused, but traced onto fusible, non-woven interfacing, which gives enough body for machine embroidery or embellishment before the applique is attached to the background (also interfaced). After zig-zagging around the image, the background is trimmed away. This doesn't produce stiffness as you might think, but just a good body, desirable in a wall quilt. However, Pellon has changed their interfacing. I knew it was different, but didn't think anything of it because it looks slightly different every time I buy it. But the new stuff is too stiff and crisp, and didn't fuse smoothly. By the time I realized this problem it was too late to correct it. The background is ok, but some of the more lightly quilted areas puff out too much because of the interfacing. More quilting might have helped the puffiness, but would have caused other problems, so it has to be what it is. I'm moving on...