Thursday, January 21, 2010
Texture Study 8" x 10"
It seems a long, long time since I had a finished piece, but finally here is one. For Christmas, I received a copy of Lyric Kinard's book art + quilt and have started working through some of her exercises. One of the first ones is to make a piece in all white or off-white, focusing on texture. When I made "wearable art" I used lots of monochromatic fabric combinations, so I had plenty of interesting scraps. This piece includes satin, corduroy, chintz, polar fleece, as well as muslin, and some pearl trim. This was fun, and I like the results. I've already cut and planned another in black. It's amazing how many different blacks there are, and how beautiful they can be when combined.
I've also finished my self-portrait for Interpret This, and put together the curved piecing blocks I made for the guild program back in November. They'll be a charity quilt when they're finished. And--I trimmed the all the blocks for the basket quilt, laid them out on the guest room bed, and plan to slowly sew them together, aiming for February 1 as the finish date.
Last, but not at all least, thanks to all the helpful answers to my questions. It looks like I'll be ordering a bendable bright light in the near future, and probably going with "Harvest Gold nouveau" for the dining room walls. And to those of you who suggested repainting if the color didn't work, easy for you to say! I won't admit how long it's been since the last paint job.