Friday, August 27, 2010

Me, Men, and Matisse

A while back, I posted a picture of this little piece and reported that my husband and son didn't know what it was, guessing "leaves".  When asked why the leaves were purple,  they were stumped.




More recently, we saw this Matisse painting in an exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago.

Me:  David, do you know what kind of flowers those are?

David:  No.

Me:  Bob, do you know what kind of flowers those are?

Bob:  No.  (After walking across the room and peering at the label)    Lilacs!

So there you have it.  I'm not comparing myself to Matisse, but isn't it odd?  Same flower, same lack of recognition.

Do you think it would have helped if I'd put my lilacs in a vase?  Or added a label?

And on a totally unrelated note, don't forget the Interpret This reveals beginning today.  Mine will be up Monday afternoon.

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I doubt that I vase would have helped, but I bet you could stump them with a similarly executed hydrangea....

*karendianne. said...

So you made another lilac piece? I quiet enjoyed the story of Bob and David and their thoughts. In addition, how very cool to see this Matisse in real life. Chicago is a very cool place to live it would seem to me. J'ville doesn't get much Matisse as far as I'm aware.

Libby Fife said...

I should let you in on some of the comments that Rich makes. I think he, Bob, and David must have all taken the same class!

It is a nice, stylized piece-very Matisse-like:)

Barbara C said...

I recognized the lilacs right away. Maybe botany isn't their specialty. As you said, you're in good company.