Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year, New Snowfall, New Project


The snow began late New Year's Eve, continued all day yesterday and into the night, and here's the view from my bedroom window this morning. There's something about a snowy woods, isn't there? Even without Robert Frost, the sight is so evocative and peaceful. That pile of snow on the deck rail gives you an idea of the depth, close to 18 inches I think. Fortunately we have a new snow blower, and the road crews here are excellent, so life is pretty normal. It was nice to be semi-snowed-in yesterday though. Here's what I'm working on.

It's at the stage where you just have to have faith (I'm not sure I do). There will be more of the yellow shapes and swirls and lines of some color in addition to the blue shading. Right now I've just tried to outline the perimeter.

It's amazingly difficult just to line up these little blocks on the wall and have them halfway straight. If anyone wants to develop a new product, I would suggest a design-wall fabric marked with a grid. It would be very helpful; so helpful that I'm surprised it hasn't been done. Of course I could take mine down and mark it myself. A Sharpie would work, and so would lines of stitching, but I can't see that happening.

It's also fun to see so many people blogging again after the holiday break, isn't it? I particularly enjoyed Sharon B's post about weighing her stash and supplies. My husband feels a bit more at ease about my fabric weight now!

6 comments:

Deb Geyer said...

I'm glad that I enlarged the photo to see the quilt closer. There are a lot of interesting things going on there! I'll be watching this project with interest.

dee said...

It does look more fascinating enlarged-the colors are just beautiful. Can't wait to see what's next. I think they do make a grid fabric you can buy. I believe it's 2 inch squares all over. Not sure but I think I saw something like it in Keepsake catalog a while back. Thanks for the tip about Fly Lady. Very interesting. I'm currently removing as much stuff as I can for a trash pick-up on Fri. Wish me luck.

Debra Dixon said...

I've had that very same thought about a grid but I can see how a grid would be "design" stifling for some of us who are too grid oriented to begin with!

Nice to see a new project for the new year. I'll stop by to see more later!

allie aller said...

This project just has a Fresh Start feel to it! Very clear and crisp...

Beautiful snow scene there, too...

McIrish Annie said...

I'm pretty sure I weigh less than SharonB ! LOL. that was a great post. good luck on your grid. there is a interfacing or something out there with grids. I've seen it at Joannes.

Jules said...

I have design wall fabric with a grid. It was part of a class kit when I took a watercolor class. It is different from the fusible grid stuff, which I do not like at all. Mine is a flannel, I think.