Friday, January 18, 2008

Still Thinking

Thanks for all of the helpful comments about my design dilemma. It's amazing and wonderful to see what other people think of, and please, feel free to weigh in again! Following Debra and Nellie's idea I did stitch together the small yellow shape in the upper right to see what it looks like.

I was really intrigued by Liz and Fran's idea of using some of both, so here is what it would look like if some shapes were smooth and some irregular.

Fran's idea of a diptych certainly made me think. I'm not sure I'm ready for that many more blue blocks. But if this were a smaller piece it would be something to consider seriously. While I mull this over, I'm going to stitch together the background blue blocks. This is slow because I have to be systematic to make sure I don't confuse the placement. I take four blocks off the wall, carry them to the sewing machine, stitch and press in a certain order, and then carry them back. Since the design wall is clear across the room from the sewing machine, I tell myself this is good exercise.

9 comments:

Robert A Vollrath said...

Great blog. As a child my grandmother took care of me while my parents were at work. I remember her quilting bees
with her friends. I wish I had told her what a wonderful art I thought it was. My grandmother would have loved your work.

Nellie's Needles said...

...and then, there's always filling out the shape with surface stitching. That could be with multiple lines of quilting using colored thread, bobbin work with heavy thread, or couching yarn or cord. Decisions! Decisions!

Debra Dixon said...

Judging from the previous comments, you were on the right course but needed some affirmation. I still like the irregular shape but one or two of the perfect ones thrown in is interesting too.

McIrish Annie said...

i like the mix of smooth and uneven. and any advice from nellie or debra is solid. they are great quilters. you are in the club also!! keep at it! It looks great

Vicki W said...

This is great fun to watch develop! I can't offer any sugestions beyond what the experts, Nellie and Debra, have already done.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

allie aller said...

I like the smooth/uneven contrast too. It makes each stronger.

Nettie said...

"good exercise," heh. Agree about the contrast of the two working well. I'm also liking the variation of hues in the blues. On pins and noodles here to see how this turns out.

Beverly said...

I will second the others, the contrast between regular / irregular shapes is intriguing. I think you are on to something with this, I love the colors, and stitching should make it even better. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece!