Thursday, January 10, 2008

TIF Progress




I'm almost finished with the applique. What I have found most interesting about this is seeing the way the colors interact; they always do, of course, but for some reason this piece is a strong example. The greens and purples in the first photo were actually painful to me, but when the creamy peach flowers were added the pain stopped. The light lavender in the stitching and fabric paint (which looks pink in photo) helps too. All that's left is a touch of yellow in the flower center and the oval frame which will be dark green I think. Then the quilting. I would have done the arrangement of dark and light in the stems differently if I'd auditioned, but oh, well---

9 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Painful? LOL!

i was digging around in my interfacing drawer and pulled out a package of that gridded interfacing. I thought maybe I would interface a piece of muslin with it that I could pin to my design wall when I needed a grid (like for my current TIFC piece). Made me think of you.

Kim said...

I like the design and I agree with you about the colors. I'm really having a love-hate relationship with these colors. It could be worse!?!

McIrish Annie said...

It is lovely. See that wasn't so painful after all?? LOL

Rian said...

Very lovely. I have enjoyed visiting the various blogs of people who are doing the TIF. I can tell immediately by the color palette. I think your piece looks great, and the pink really makes it pop. When you get it quilted I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

allie aller said...

Really, Kay....just so lovely.

Meg in Tennessee said...

Your challenge is coming along nicely, can't wait to see how it turns out. I really like to work on Iris, in the garden or in my studio.

Meg

Liz in Kansas said...

Yes, the flowers really made a difference, didn't they? Your work is lovely and I'll look forward to seeing more of it.

BTW, our blog names are almost the same. How do these things happen?

http://newsfromthebasement.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I like the design you came up with. Applique never entered my mind for the challenge. Did you fuse the flowers or applique them down?

anne said...

If it is not too difficult to describe it by email, I would like you to tell me how fused-appliqué is done.
I really like your irises.