Monday, July 20, 2009

New Beginnings


Isn't it a good feeling to finish a big project? After I mailed the Hoffman and got the question of what to do with Refractions resolved, I felt as though shackles had come off my ankles. In a creative spurt, I sun painted fabric (without much success), and then I put together the beginnings of several little projects I hope to send to Alz Quilts. The wonky log cabin blocks are an attempt to re-create something I did once before but no longer have, and the others are beginnings of pieces that may be interesting or may not be.

But this is my favorite.


I picked a piece of butterfly weed from the wild area beside the house, scanned it using the back of my streaky sun dyes as a background, and printed it on fabric. My idea was to use this as the home for one of Debra's butterflies, but I'm not sure it's bright enough. I can increase the color saturation and try again, or I can see what stitching does to this one. I haven't decided yet. For now, I love it the way it is.

9 comments:

Candace said...

I think the butterfly weed scan is wonderful, Kay! I'm thinking the stitching will make magic happen!
Cheers!

Debra Dixon said...

My first thought was "I wonder if Kay is going to use that butterfly?" Oh, I think it will be splendid.

Rian said...

It's a good feeling to finish ANY project!

Libby Fife said...

I like that one print the way it is but maybe I will like it even better with the butterfly?

Always good to get rid of big projects and then on to fun stuff:)

Barbara C said...

Anything seems possible after a big project is done. Enjoy the possibilities. Your butterfly weed scan is beautiful. I'm sure you'll think up a wonderful use for it.

*karendianne. said...

Kay, It's really interesting to read how you did this. I never would have imagined. All this creativity over coffee is a lovely way to start the day. I agree, I luv the butterfly weed the way it is however... I just get anxious because I know what you can do with another layer of creativity added. I guess I'm no help but usually, I'm not. I'm a good cheering section though.

Another thing, those blocks REALLY grabbed my attention in a way that I thought was so "NOT KAREN" and I'm zapped, like with a stun gun (only I'm not in pain). Kay, those really attracted me. They're so different from anything you would think I'd be caught up in. Kinda neat for me to sense this reaction.

Joyce said...

Very interesting work. I haven't done anything with scanning so I'll be watching to see how this one turns out.

laura west kong said...

They're all lovely! Congrats on finishing the Hoffman Challenge and for new beginnings!

jenclair said...

Butterfly weed is one of my favorite flowers. Your fabric version is beautiful.