Thursday, July 09, 2009
Over a year ago I stuffed this piece into a bag and put it way on top of my storage space. It was pieced, almost quilted, and partially embellished when I decided I hated it. (Notice all those dangling quilting threads to be buried.) A week or so I got it out again, and decided maybe it wasn't hopeless. After consultation and thought, I made the round circle irregular like the others. (I made it round in the first place after thought and consultation also. So it goes.)
This was not an easy fix. I ripped out the quilting stitches, took off the applique circle, remade it so that it is irregular, which meant piecing more blocks, took out the squares underneath where the circle had been, and appliqued the new shape on, trying to match the edges of the new blocks with the seam lines. Now I have to match up the quilting lines and re-quilt, which means there will be even more ends to fasten and bury. I also put some more blocks with blue into the large gold shape on the upper right, but that was relatively easy. There were leftover blocks to use, and I'll just quilt over the old quilting without removing it since the space is so small.
I don't recommend this kind of fix. Ironically, this piece was one of the most carefully planned ones I've made. However, there is an almost infinite way to arrange those little blocks, and that was where the trouble began.
Next steps: finish the quilting, do a bit more embellishment, and bind. We'll see if this was worth it. I'm still not sure, but at least I don't cringe when I see it anymore.