Monday, September 11, 2006

Fiber Art for a Cause



Here's are two postcards I made for the ACS fundraiser at Houston. This is my first use of the fabric I painted with Seta Color. I used a leaf to make a not-very-clear leaf print, outlined it, and then quilted heavily in the background. I have a second one on which I outlined the leaf with heavy metallic thread used in the bobbin. I don't like it as well, actually, although the leaf shows up more. The funky flower is an ultra suede embellishment that I made for a hat when I was making and selling those, and I stumbled across it by accident and found it went perfectly with another piece of painted fabric. The leaves are also ultrasuede scraps. I fused the binding on these cards, and then stitched over the fusing. I like this look, and it's a bit easier than the usual binding. Compared to the examples on the web site, and other people's work I've seen, these may be too simple, not $30 pieces. What do you think? I'll keep going, I think, but I'd appreciate some feedback.

6 comments:

Elle said...

very pretty ATC!

Anonymous said...

Compared to the examples on the web site, and other people's work I've seen, these may be too simple

Au contraire.... Some people like the simpler things... ya know a leaf is sometimes just a leaf... The "cause" is going to have to have a lot of styles/ideas etc. to elicit responses from the widest number of people.

allie aller said...

Those sunprint leaves are beautiful...for the "simple" ultra-suede project, I can't help it, I want to see some bugs in there....

Anonymous said...

Honestly?

I would add some fun beads to the flower (but then you know me!).

I plan to make about 5 using the ARTImage Challenge piece as the inspiration. Making these postcards is pretty addictive.

Kay said...

Thanks y'all. I had thought of beads, but rejected it because all the beads I have are the "glitzy" kind that I didn't think went with the sort of folk art look of the flower. Bugs--interesting. That I never thought of. I'll keep thinking, and check out my embellishment stuff again.

laura west kong said...

They're beautiful! I agree with Amy, not everyone likes the ultra-embellished look. There should be something for everyone.