Wednesday, September 20, 2006



A hand for the Show of Hands project. This was fun: it gave me a chance to use up very small scraps of my kimono fabric, some ribbon flowers, and take advantage of those decorative stitches which I never use. I made both sides of the hand separately by putting the scraps on fusible fleece interfacing, zigzagging with invisible thread first, and then with colored thread and decorative stitches. I embellished them, glued the two sides together, trimmed them, and zigzagged the edges, then added the pearl hanging loop and the big ribbon embellishment. The hand wanted to cup a little bit, so I blocked it over my tailor's ham to accentuate that, making it quite hand shaped. I really enjoyed this, and I like the way it turned out, although as I was making it, I didn't. Sometimes you have to have faith! And you see, I can embellish--thanks to you crazy quilters for the inspiration.

6 comments:

Rian said...

Very nice! So do these hands need to have two parts like gloves? Or are they just hand-shaped mini quilts?

Kay said...

They're hand-shaped mini quilts. But they are supposed to look equally good on both sides, probably need more stiffening that just a batting (so they don't fold up when hung), and need a hanging loop of some kind.

jenclair said...

Kay, these are so cute. Aside from the Show of Hands project, wouldn't it be nice to have a pair of hands for each family member... I really like your crazy patchwork approach; they look like fun to make.

Anonymous said...

What a mix up with your Hoffman pieces! I liked the bird piece the best & was initially surprised when you thought they had rejected it. Congratulations!

I am really going to have fun with the hands project!

I am working on postcards now and stopped by for the link. You have been so good to promote the Houston show.

Deb Hardman said...

I love the hands! I'd seen others but not the link before thanks! I may have to lend a hand (I know, groan) myself!
Congrats on you challenge quilt, I liked the twins reference, very funny.

laura west kong said...

Your hand is so cute! When are they due? I want to make one. I'll bet my daughter would have fun making a hand too.