Wednesday, September 06, 2006

First Quilt



I had to get in on the "first quilt" discussion started at Quilt Studio. I made some blocks when I was about 12, but they were never finished and mercifully lost. So this must be the first. It was made in 1972 (I was so proud I signed and dated it!) while we were waiting to adopt our older son. I guess I found the pictures in coloring books, except for that cat face in the center, which I drew myself--always artistic. It represents the dearly beloved cat we had when we were childless. The beautiful hand quilting was done by my dear, dear mother-in-law and her church group in Waterloo, Illinois, who did hand quilting as a fund-raiser. It's WAY beyond the deserts of this quilt. The quilt was used, but not particularly loved, so although the fabric is faded and worn, there are no actual holes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This quilt reminds me of my own first baby quilt made with Sunbonnet Sues-very babylike and precious!

allie aller said...

This quilt is beyond wonderful, esp. that cat and those loving hand-quilted stitches...
Isn't it amazing how we have all used our quilting to get through times of transition, to help us be patient and wait for the next huge era of our lives to unfold? Doesn't this turning to fiber just connect us with all women in all cultures?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - I have tears after reading the story.

jenclair said...

I, too, love the way quilts not only help the quilter through times of tradition, but take all of the memories of a family. What they represent is so much more than the fabric, batting, and stitching.

Rian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rian said...

That is adorable! And what a sweet story.

Thanks for posting your blog address in Quilt Studio--I had lost it.