Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Hoffman Challenge Saga

As I posted back in July, I entered two quilts in this year's Hoffman Challenge, not feeling terribly pleased with either. I liked the design of one, but felt I'd messed up the workmanship, and the other one (the purple thing) just didn't jell at all. So I was amazed to see on the web site that Twilight (purple) was in traveling group A. Many jokes were made about this in my family ("They had a purple quota"), and my mother and sisters mourned the parrot quilt, which they had liked. Today I received a box from Hoffman Challenge, and when I opened it expecting to see pink parrots, I found the purple thing instead, along with a rejection letter for Parrots in Paradise. I immediately emailed Kelly Gallagher-Abbott, and she called back within a few minutes. Yes, the parrots are traveling, they mixed up the names, and I should get an acceptance letter (for Twilight?) soon. Should be interesting..."Congratulations, your quilt has been accepted," but then there would be all the negative comments. It's sort of like twins separated at birth--positively Shakespearean. But all's well than ends well. Apparently Kelly has had a nightmarish time with her move and organizing the challenge, so I certainly can understand how this happened. And I am pleased to know that people aren't looking at the purple quilt saying, "Hmmm."

Here it is: officially traveling quilt.

7 comments:

allie aller said...

Very, VERY nice!!!!!

Rian said...

I think it's incredibly creative! Congratulations!!!

It reminds me of the story of the parrots of Telegraph Hill.

Kay said...

Thanks, both of you!

Anonymous said...

MAZEL TOV!

jenclair said...

Congratulations! Tried to comment yesterday, but Blogger wasn't having it. Hooray for The Traveling Parrots!

Micki said...

Congratulations, Kay. This is a lovely, fun quilt.

laura west kong said...

Congratulations! You did a wonderful job!

I really liked this year's fabric (much better than last year's). I bought some for my stash, as it was too late to make something for the challenge.