Tuesday, October 24, 2006

We spent Saturday afternoon and evening in downtown Chicago. I didn't take a camera because the forecast was for rain all day, but the rain held off until late evening, so although this made for a wonderful day, I have no pictures. It was a glorious day: blue lake, the bright green grass along the lakeshore, the skyline as wonderful as it always is, the trees full of rust and gold, and because it's been so warm, the fall flowers in Mayor Dailey's please-the-tourists landscaping still in full bloom. And there were lots of tourists to please, many of them in town for the Chicago Marathon. Not us though--much less disciplined and more self-indulgent, we had a delicious dinner at Blackbird, and then saw Deborah Voigt in Salome. Both were memorable. For non-opera fans, (and fans too, I guess) the big news about this performance is that Deborah Voigt, who was fired by London's Covent Garden about two and a half years ago for being too fat for her role, had bariatric surgery and has lost almost 150 pounds. The experience didn't seem to hurt her voice, and she looked wonderful, although maybe a bit haggard. You have to admire the guts of this--it's supposedly tough surgery, she's not young, and the demands of her career must make the experience doubly difficult. But if anything could make it worthwhile, the reception she got Saturday night would do the job. I loved the opera; the story is sordid, if not downright sick, but the music is wonderful. This is one opera you stay awake for, even after a great dinner and a bottle of pinot noir! (It's short too; we drove home in the rain--what a letdown!)

4 comments:

allie aller said...

Sounds like a splendid date with your husband!!!
I find Chicago to be a totally invigorating place...thanks for the window into your take on it on a gorgeous fall day...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! I love Chicago! I looked at the menu at Blackbird...what did you have?

His Office, My Studio said...

What a great time you and your husband had. Driving home in the rain was a downer.

I get downtown all the time and just love it. I have never been to Blackbird but will put it on my list.

The first job I had out of college was in the Civic Opera Building. I would sneak down and watch (listen) to the singers at practice and I had a great time.

Anonymous said...

I was in Chic last year and loved the planters Daly had out on the street. It was so much colorful than the non-existent planters from when I lived there. Anything like that is a Plus.