Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What's Going On?

This is not about quilting, so skip if you want. I just have to rant about a commercial I saw last night while watching the National League Championship Series. It was for Burger King, I believe. I'll try to reproduce it for your edification.

Office scene, slightly heavy, nerdy guy sitting at computer. Beside him, perched on a desk, I'm sure with crotch totally visible, is attractive female coworker who coos: Want a bite of my Croissantwich? Nerdy guy, with eyes averted: I don't like French things. Girl (still cooing suggestively): What about bikinis? Nerdy guy (turning to face her and leering): How about French kisses? Girl (drawing back in disgust) Oooh, gross! Enter Mr. Cool Stud male coworker. Girl: What's the French word for creepy? Stud: Le ------ (I didn't catch this). Nerd (confused): That's my name. Stud: I know.

That's it, in its entirety, unless I missed something. Now, I ask, what is happening? Why does Burger King think it's ok to present a woman as a brainless, heartless c--kteaser, and men as leering goons, or worse, cruel macho jerks? What is the demographic this is supposed to appeal to? At first I thought not too bright male twenty-somethings, but then I lowered it to high school kids, but actually, the level is about middle school. I'm also not sure why it bothers me so much, but it sure does. Any one else? Am I over-reacting?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kay, you are not over reacting. This stuff is entirely offensive. Sex sells and, unfortunately, there is far too much of this kind of tripe on TV. No wonder men treat women as objects.

Anonymous said...

I saw it & DITTO! was my reaction. What happened to their high school mascot king... (He was creepy too!)

Karoda said...

I haven't seen the commercial but I would have had a similiar reaction as well. Its a great example of dumbed down tv.

Deb Geyer said...

No, you are not over-reacting. It reminds me of why we stopped watching network TV about 10 years ago!!

Deb Geyer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kay said...

It's good to know others share my reaction to this. It's not merely the sexuality that bothers me but cruelty, which seems like high-school level bullying. And we have learned that this is not something to take lightly--or should have.

Anonymous said...

I am making a real effort lately to monitor what I watch on TV. Last night I officially announced that the show Criminal Minds is on the No List. I find it is more and more offensive to me--women are always the victims of rape and murder. When is that going to stop being the prime theme of TV? All the CSIs are going on the No List pretty soon too. Enough already.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What some companies forget is that offense advertising not only fails to generate new business, but makes many people avoid their product.

However, a blog campaign might make them pull the commercial...

Patti said...

My feelings exactly - I saw it and was totally disgusted and insulted for both men and women. I believe I shall write a letter to burger king and tell them so.

allie aller said...

Well put! My DH and I both hate this commercial.
I think it is supposed to appeal to angry, snotty women. I guess they are the ones who will supposedly buy this cruddy breakfast.
The baseball post season is wonderful...as long as we hit the "Mute" button during the commercials! (The Chevy one with John Mellencamp singing is pretty great, though. I leave the sound on for that.)

Shelina said...

i haven't seen the particular commercial, but have maybe seen a shorter version of it. I just thought it was strange and confusing. Maybe they changed it because of the response.