Friday, January 26, 2007

Friday Collage


For my last Friday Collage, I expressed the Daily Life theme by focusing on one of my favorite things. This time, I'm showing one of my least favorite: my regular visits to a well-known women's fitness chain. Exercise is supposed to free the creative part of the brain, but I find this place totally mind numbing--terrible music, mindless repetition, and the chit-chat which is supposedly one of its big sells usually just irritates me (there's that introvert thing again). However it's a necessity, so I go.

Not much to say about making this. I just printed some words associated with the place, and added a sketch of one of the machines. The composition has no clear focus. The word pieces and the machine should not be the same color; this was partly done to save time, and also, I need to learn to look more critically AS I work, not afterwards!

8 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

This is a "fun" little piece. The "no clear focus" as well as the words, etc. seems to appropriately reflect the atmosphere of the place. Also, the black wording helps to distribute that element throughout the piece ... gives it balance. I'd say, "Well done!".

jenclair said...

I agree with Nellie!

Anonymous said...

Very clever and creative. (And I don't think you have to be an introvert to find mindless blather an irritant. I'm no introvert, but my late MIL used to tease me that I didn't "suffer fools gladly.")

Deb Geyer said...

I love how you express your thoughts!

Granny Fran said...

Cute piece and great execution. Funny, I'm an INFJ and I enjoy visiting the local women's excise place. She changes the music if we ask her to and it's the only place I go to hear the local "news" since I've never been a joiner or a coffee clatcher. Of course, this is a very small town and we tend to know each other. Plus the results in feeling better are fantastic! Cures a lot of my aches and pains.
Hey, I'm a farm girl too.

Deb Hardman said...

I love it Kay! I completely agree with you on the chatters. They drove me crazy when I was on the stair climber at the health club! I like to read to take my mind off the pain & bordom of exercising, & the women next to me used to flirt & chat (she was 50-something but in great shape, & desparate for male companionship). Now I have a stair climber at home, & I never use it! At least nobody bothers me though!! :)

Rian said...

Maybe it was a catharsis and you now got all the negatives about "that place" out of your system? It's still a very nice execution.

My brain is thinking iPod. Couldn't hurt.

Cathy said...

I think it works. I do the same tho, finish and then say this should be here, this should be.... I think yours conveyed the message.