Wednesday, January 10, 2007


I posted this piece a couple of months ago. When my son was visiting at Christmas, he admired it, but wanted it framed. I wasn't sure how to do this, but happened to read Deborah's blog describing how she framed a recent piece. Basically, the piece is tacked with stitches to a piece of mat board or foam core which is then put in the frame, glass removed. I tried her method, and am pleased with the results, although I would have prefered a narrower frame. Now that I've done it once, I will try some of the other frames and see how they work. Deborah includes a link to Melody Johnson's ideas for framing also. Very interesting reading.

Thanks for all the suggestions on my previous posts. I'm thinking it over.

5 comments:

Diana Napier said...

Are those the indigo blues fabrics or regular blue fabrics? They remind me of the indigo ones, I think I really like them.

Jen said...

Looks great in the frame! Jen

Nellie's Needles said...

The wide frame looks good to me. The width repeats that of the black stipes within the piece.

The foam core can be covered with fabric to make a colored mat for future pieces. I make a "pillow case" and slip stitch it closed after inserting the foam core. Then stitch the quilted piece just to that matting fabric rather than all the way through the foam core board.

Rian said...

I like this piece a lot and it looks great framed. I would never think to do that--your son had a great idea!

Heidi said...

... the frame goes very well with the piece!