Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Wednesday





The last showing of this, I promise. It is actually finished, except for hand work on hanging sleeve, label, and removal of the basting stitches which show in the lower right of the close-up. I use water soluable thread in the bobbin and basting stitches come right out in the final rinse or spraying before blocking. A neat trick. I don't know why this project has taken so long: I like it, nothing about it has been difficult, but I seem to let it rest for a long time between each stage. The other technical tip I would repeat is to beware of Rainbows thread by Superior Threads. This fine thread KEEPS coming loose. Backstitching and a gradual reduction of stitch length for the last 1 1/2 inches is all that seems to work. Tying ends and burying them does not work on this stuff and neither does backstitching alone.


My other project is to make a paste-up block of the Hoffman Challenge design I have planned. I probably won't reveal this for a while, but the color scheme is still what I showed last week, and I made trial blocks of the small pieces for the border, so I think I can pull it off.

17 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

That quilt still is cool - you know, whenever I share my Australian fabrics, people ask why I did not get any of the aboriginal designs... :o) I really should do one of mine.... I only have 4 planned! :o)

allie aller said...

This quilt is so sophisticated. You should be well proud of this one..thanks for the basting thread in the bobbin tip, too..

Kim said...

It's (still) a wonderful way to showcase the Australian fabrics!

Debra Dixon said...

I can't imagine I would ever get tired of seeing this quilt!

jenclair said...

Wonderful title, wonderful quilt, Kay! Thanks for the tip on water soluble thread in the bobbin (I initially typed "boobin" which applies to me) for basting.

Micki said...

This is a really great quilt and the fabrics are wonderful.

Jen said...

Great quilt, I love Australian fabrics. I have a few tucked away...at least one has a similar color scheme. I like what you have done.
I never thought of using water soluble in the bobbin for basting, of course that would work. Thanks for the tip about Superior Rainbow, I loved the colors and bought a ton of it at the last quilt show I went to. I like King Tut, so I thought it would be fine. Jen

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

Your quilt is stunning! I love how you have used the colors. Congratulations!

Kay said...

Thanks for the kind words, friends! I will take this to my guild for Show and Tell next week and expect blank looks and the polite "Oh" response. :)

Deb Geyer said...

It is wonderful, Kay! I love it!

Debra Dixon said...

Maybe you need to find a more compatible guild for your style!

Anonymous said...

I'm like Debra, who would get tired of this? It's awesome! And I really dig the fabric, too!

Deb Hardman said...

I love this quilt! It would be a great piece to design a whole room around.

Sue said...

Living in the northern terrritoy, Australia, you would think for certain I would have used aboriginal print in at least one quilt..but alas I havent..then again I still havent taken time out to go to Ularu and see ayers rock....Toooo busy quilting

laura west kong said...

It's beautiful! Also very soothing to look at with the gentle colors and the way the diagonals lead your eyes around and around the quilt.

I have some of that Superior Rainbow thread that I just look at. Thanks for the tip. I should really be trying out my collection of threads.

I'm also looking at the Hoffman 2007 challenge fabric. I bought a yard and hung it up. It's not the type of fabric I usually use, but for some reason it really appeals to me so I bought a yard to figure out what to do with it.

Tracy said...

One of those fabrics was designed by a woman who's father commissioned me to make a quilt for him with it :) And guess what! i don't have a photo of the quilt finished. I do have one of it in pieces on the floor. :) Well done. I hope you had fun on your trip to Oz.

Kay said...

Tracy, that's so cool. I'd love to see a picture of your pieces of that quilt.