Saturday, February 18, 2006

More Favorite Quilt Books


Color Harmony for Quilts by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. These are unusual quilts, more traditional in technique than "art quilts" but very contemporary. Although some of the comments about palettes is over my head, their ideas about choosing colors and blocks to fit a "big idea" is one that I really liked. I made the quilt I call "Indiana Roadside" using their idea. I had wanted to do something based on the beautiful greens, golds, and whites of the "weeds" near our house for a long time, but didn't know what. ( Realistic applique and landscapes are not my thing. This quilt isn't quite what I was aiming for, but I like it.

Quilter's Complete Guide, by Fons and Porter. A great reference book. I check the size charts all the time.

Threadplay by Libby Lehman. Very practical advice for using decorative threads as well as instructions for her ribbon-like designs. Unfortunately I don't have this book, and when I looked it up on Amazon, I found that a used one costs $85! So I ordered one from interlibrary loan for reference in the class I'm taking from her at the Bloomington show.

No comments: