Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Unintended Consequences


I'm getting ready to send my "global warming" quilt to the Indiana Heritage Quilt Show in Bloomington, and so want to post it. I'm proud of this quilt, although I know that it is odd, to say the least, and some people either won't get it, or will think it ridiculous. I didn't show it to my mother, the super conventional quilter, but the rest of my family was very supportive, although I know my sisters think global warming is a myth.

I got this idea about two years ago when I heard about California environmental activists putting bumper stickers with the slogan on people SUVs, and the design just fell into place. This summer was the first time I finally had time to get down to making it. It was a challenge, lot of math to make the Storm at Sea Borders fit, and I hate paper piecing. I also don't like messing with fusibles, so this was a challenge, but I improved and learned some things. The sun was fun. I want to do another New York Beauty someday. I loved the yellow "desert" strip pieced blocks on the side and the way the sky turned out with random piecing of light blue Ohio Star pieces. I also like the color scheme. The quilting is less than great, however. This is my biggest weakness still, and probably always will be. Another problem is the wheels. I thought it would be clever to put a silver button on top of a black button to make hubcaps, but I think it looks kindergartenish. I could have taken them off, but at that point, I'd had it.

Anyway, I don't think people will walk by without looking, and that is good enough for me.

3 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I love it Kay and I consider myself a traditional quilter. I'm sure it will be a hit at the show due to it's uniqueness.

My Brain on Quilts said...

Fantastic! So many times quilters choose safe messages, or images. We have many opportunities to use our art as a vehicle (pun intended) to communicate important messages, like global warming! Bravo for your message and it is a great quilt. I do like the buttons as hubcaps and didn't find it kindergartenish at all. See Rachael Roggel's work and her ingenious use of buttons. http://www.roggel.com/postindex.html

KC Quilter said...

Ohmigosh! I love it! Such a timely message and such a beautiful quilt! Hope it wins a ribbon. Keep us posted, okay?